Week 10 Story Lab: Microfiction: Two Fictional Stories

Argument for Humanity 

Group of people (Helena Lopes on Unsplash)

"Humanity is nothing but pestilence, betrayal, senescence, and heartbreak," the evil wizard said. "Give me one good reason why it shouldn't be destroyed."

"I can't deny all of those things," I said slowly. "But it's also a baby kicking his mother in the womb, dinner with two reunited friends, a bride on her wedding day, a father reading to his kids before bed, crying when an acceptance letter arrives in the mail, family laughing together during movie night, a chorus of songs during holiday celebrations, and soldiers returning home safe from war.  They deserve to live."

Maybe we survive this.


--


Revolution

Stormy night (Luka Vovk on Unsplash)

It was a dark and stormy night.  They had already made so much progress for freedom.  If only they knew it was only the beginning.


Author's Note:  The first microfiction story, "Argument for Humanity," is a drabble, a 100-word story.  The situation that I have set up is a fictional one where a wizard threatens to destroy humanity, not seeing the purpose of having any life in such a broken world.  But the narrator stands as the spokesperson of mankind, describing all the beautiful aspects of humanity and citing them as a reason for why we should be allowed to live.  I purposefully left the ending uncertain as to whether or not the wizard lets humans live, as my personal experience is that we are still waiting on the answer to if human good outweighs human evil on this planet.

The second microfiction story, "Revolution," is hint fiction, a 25-word story.  If the story seemed vague, that's okay--it's supposed to be.  I decided that I wanted this story to be unclear about what revolution is the subject, and who these people are.  I also borrowed the famous, often-used line from A Wrinkle in Time purposefully as well.  I thought the vague nature of this story would allow it to be open to interpretation by anyone.

Comments

  1. MRH,

    I really loved both stories that you have here. The first story seemed like a pivotal moment in some sort of movie scene. I get the idea of this evil wizard being broken and having a negative outlook on life. Whereas the hero in the story, saves humanity and possibly changes the evil wizards outlook. I thought your word choice was very impactful. I also like your second story and how it is open for interpretation. It can be taken many ways, which I think is very cool! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kenzie! I absolutely loved the first story. You got so much information in a small amount of words. It had me wondering. Why was the wizard so upset with mankind? Then you went into the positive things about mankind. To me, there is a lesson in your story. Although there are horrible things in this world, there are many great things. I liked your second story as well. I know its vague on purpose but you left me wanting to read more. That is a wonderful thing with great storytelling! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. senescence

    Thank you for exposing me to a new word. I really liked your first microfiction. All the reasons you listed for why humanity is valuable are try in mind. Who hurt your wizard so badly to drive him to such madness? Why is your narrator so brave to stand up to the person trying to destroy the world? I understand the wizard, and I understand the narrator. Both points of view are valid and invalid without God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts