Storybook Plan

 

(Reading a book, MyLearningNetwork)

The main theme for my Storybook would be to explore legendary sea monsters through the lens of Percy Jackson. As a result, the storyteller-narrator character would be Percy, who would take his audience through each myth one at a time as they happen to him on his quest. Currently, I don't know exactly what Percy's overarching goals of the quest will be, but I envision that the stories will also include Annabeth, so that Percy will have a teammate and companion that he will be questing with. One idea that I'm considering is having the sea monster encounters told through a series of letters to another character, like Grover back at Camp Half-Blood. That way, Percy's unique voice comes across in the storytelling, because I'm interested in playing with that.

In my last Storybook planning post, I included several links to sources that I think might be helpful, such as the Perseus Digital Library, which would include several of the original Greek mythology stories about these sea creatures.  In addition to those, Laura also recommended a site called theoi.com, which should be an excellent resource to get the original text about these creatures.  The three creatures that I want to write stories about include the Hydra, Cetus, and Charybdis.  Given some of these creatures' connections to Percy's father, Poseidon, it might be fun to give them more personal meanings to Percy, although I'm not yet sure how I will do that.  

I think the main message or experience that I would want my audience to get out of this Storybook would be a journey of self-discovery.  Perhaps Percy can begin this quest feeling a bit cocky because he believes that he knows all there is to know about the ocean, as the son of the sea god.  But during his journey, maybe he can realize how much he still has to learn, and accept that there are some aspects of himself and his connection to the sea that he needs to discover.  Generally, though, I imagine this Storybook will be a light-hearted story with Percy and Annabeth as they find and fight mythical sea monsters.


Bibliography: Theoi Greek Mythology, Aaron J. Atsma.

Comments

  1. MRH,

    I really like your idea for a storybook and think it allows for a great amount of creativity. I think adding a companion like Annabeth to the stories would allow you to have more room to play with the stories as well. I like the idea of facing different creatures and then also telling some stories through letters. I think letters would be a unique way to share the story, so I think that would be an awesome idea. You seem to really have some solid ideas for a foundation for the storybook, and I can't wait to read your storybook once it is complete!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts