Thoughts on Time Strategies

(Pocket watch, My Fab Finance)

The two articles that I read from the list were The Myth of "Too Busy" by Tim Grahl and 11 Ways Unsuccessful People Mismanage Their Time by Áine Cain.  I found both of this articles to be valuable!  Between the two of them, I thought the Grahl article was the most insightful to me, because it calls for a renewed use of language--cutting "busy" out of our vocabulary--that leads to an altered mindset about the way we use our time.  That's something I want to start doing this semester: thinking about my time as a set of priorities instead of busyness.  

I think one of my biggest challenges with time management for classes in the past is that I work towards perfection, or at least, as close as I can get with the available time.  As a result, sometimes assignments that I could get done in an hour actually take three hours because that's how much time I have.  I think the assignment times that Laura has posted by each assignment will be helpful for me, because it can give me a goal to strive towards on my time management.  

One good time management strategy that I've been using since high school is a whiteboard instead of a planner.  At the beginning of each week, I write the assignments due for each class on the whiteboard.  As I go through the week, I erase assignments when I finish them.  This strategy allows me to see at a glance how full my upcoming week will be, and how many assignments I have left during the week.  I'd recommend that strategy!

Comments

Popular Posts